Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Don't judge a Brit by the color of his kit

Kit being a uniform, gear, outfit used to play sports. There have been some post recently on Shysterball and It Is About The Money, Stupid, about the Brits recently claiming they actually invented the game.

There were accusations, justifications and all manner of comments from the Brits trying to assert their influence over anything American, and Americans telling them what we thought of their attempt to claim our game.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that not all Brits have these issues about Americans and our sports. I hear it almost every day, at work, at the pub, or just out and about at the store, or wherever I am.

It gets a little old, and I have a post I'm working on about that subject. Its just too long for me to finish in one evening.

But at the local pub I go to, only occasionally of course, I have gotten to know a lot of people, and count many of them as friends already. The people who own the pub have been great to me. They know I'm in a tight financial situation right now, but will let me run a tab through the end of the month until payday. If they wouldn't, I would find myself sitting at home much more than I do.

But what is really great about them, is they understand the situation I'm in. A stranger in a strange land, for away from my comfort zone and all alone really. So, on a Saturday or Sunday evening, if there isn't too much of a a crowd or a soccer match on that people have specifically come to watch, they will put on a baseball or football game for me. I don't know if they know how important that is to me. Its my little slice of home when I'm feeling homesick and alone. It's fantastic on their part.

There have been some complaints at times, and a lot of negative comments, but they don't' listen. If they turn it on, they let me watch until I'm ready to go home. So while there are still some issues out there that we need to watch, not every Brit takes the opportunity to rag on Americans.

In fact, some of them go out of their way to make us feel welcome. And its making my life a lot better.

No comments: