Sunday, June 22, 2008

Now I'm workin' for a livin'

I got hired. I think. They waited until late Friday afternoon to talk to us. There was a woman who was temping also, and we were both wanting to get hired on full-time. Originally, we thought we were both going to get hired on, but then we found out they were only going to keep one of us, and it was actually a competition. I kind of felt bad about it, because we were riding the bus together and had gotten to know each other, and she's a nice lady.

We knew Friday was the day they would let us know, but neither one of us was sure about anything, or how it would work out. I wasn't stressing about it too much, because there just wasn't a reason to. I couldn't do anything about their decision, except just work hard and show them what I could do.

They called her down first at around 3:30 to talk to her. When she came back upstairs, I could tell she wasn't happy. But I couldn't talk to her because of the amount of people around. And I still didn't know my status. But I had a good idea. That morning, the manager came to me and asked me to make a phone call. There had been some problems on the job, and he wanted me to do a courtesy call to see if everything was satisfactory. And to see if they had sent in the payment for their system.

Now that's not really the job I was hired on for. They have people to do that. So I figured I was being tested. I didn't really want to do it, and I won't do it as a normal part of the job. I was a recruiter in the Army, against my will. For those of you who have been in, you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, its hard to explain. But I won't do that kind of work, where I have to call people and ask them to buy things, or try to collect money.

I was getting tested. So I said I would. Fortunately, they were at work all day and I never did get hold of them. But that told me I pretty much had the job. Why else would they ask a temp on his last day to do something like that. The manager finally got my resume, and told he was impressed by it. That's a good thing, I guess, but its just what I've done. I work hard, I work well, and I put in a full days work for a full days pay. So I've been successful. Nothing special about that. We're all supposed to do that, right.

Technically, I'm still a temp for another week, but he was already talking about grooming me for more responsibility and bigger things. Right now, we have two scheduling manager and two scheduling assistants. But because of the volume of business we're getting, they're talking about splitting London into a separate team. So I think he's talking about me being a Scheduling Manager when it happens. It would be a promotion, and a raise, but I'm not sure if I want it.

They have to meet a target each week of £250,000 right now. Another manager would increase it close to £400,00. I could use the money, but I have an aversion to doing any job based on sales, or a quota, or a target. I don't want to do it. I might tell them no. But at this point, I'm not sure. Money is at a premium right now.

Which is why I feel bad for the woman who didn't get kept on. My performance was what kept her from getting a job. I have enough chivalry in me to think I should have not accepted the position, because she didn't get it. But that's kind of stupid, really. I need the job. I need the money. I don't owe anyone any loyalty or charity. We all have to make our way. But I do feel bad.

But the main thing is that I have a job. Now I need a place to stay.

No comments: